Skip to main content

1 June 2023 - It's Electrifying!

 

I got chills, they're multiplying

and I'm losing control 

Cause the power your supplying...


It's Electrifying!

Today is all about safety when using a toaster.

Now remember, our Almanac was written in the 1970s, and the modern electric pop-up toaster was commercialized around the 1920s. That is almost 50 years and barely a generation of this metal death trap taking up counter space in modern homes.

In fact, toast has been one of the most popular ways of eating bread since the Roman Empire and was likely a way to preserve bread rather than make a tasty snack.

Even with more modern technology, you are most likely to be killed by your toaster than by a shark. The electric contraption kills an average of 700 people a year, with over 300 of those deaths occurring in the United States.

The most common injury is attempting to remove stuck food from the toaster with a utensil.

This was Kindergarten 101 for me. I remember firefighters giving my entire school a healthy dose of childhood trauma by telling us about all the ways a fire can start and how we could die in that fire.

I have a core memory of army crawling through a hallway with smoke just to give us a real-life sense of how to escape a burning building.

Since then, I have always viewed the toaster as an adversary worthy of respect.

Here are the best ways to help prevent a toast accident or fire:

  1. Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
  2. Keep your toaster clean. Be sure to unplug it before doing this!
  3. Maintain distance while using it. Make sure no other objects are close by while toasting.

Now you know, and knowledge is power. Your toaster should only be used as directed, and for the love of all that is holy, don't try any "toaster hacks" you might see online.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...