Skip to main content

14 February 2018 - Love: A Brief History

St. Valentine's Day

"How did this holiday become associated with lovers?"

St. Valentine was straight up murdered for his faith and we celebrate by giving each other chocolates.

Story goes, my man Valentine was put to the test of proving the power of Jesus Christ Himself by restoring the sight to a daughter of a Roman judge.

Valentine succeeded in healing the girl and because of this miracle the judge released all the Christian prisoners from jail. He also converted the judge to Christianity and baptized him.

Now since Valentine did this, he got mad popular.

This judge brought him to the emperor Claudius II.

Claudius wasn't having any of Valentine's faith and demanded he renounce Christianity or be beaten and beheaded.

I guess you can tell Valentine did not renounce his faith so he was beaten and beheaded.

Now because Valentine died for his faith he was given a martyrdom.

However, not much was known about Valentine and this story might not be entirely accurate since our man Valentine died around 270 A.D.

This day that was dedicated to Valentine sat in obscurity 

UNTIL

18th century antiquarians (people who read really old books) Alban Butler and Francis Douce suggested that the day was actually created to replace Lupercalia.

Lupercalia was also known as Februa.

Sound Familiar??

Part of this celebration was health and fertility.

There is actually nothing anywhere saying that St. Valentine was the patron saint of lovers.


Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve

This expression is usually used for expressing your feelings openly. Back in the day, boys would wear the name of their lady love on paper pinned to them.

This girl is super mad at this boy because her name ain't no where to be seen.

He's also some mad player or just thinks he's St. Valentines gift to the ladies.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...