Skip to main content

21 February 2018 - Oooh that smell, the smell that surrounds you.

Getting Rid of Odors in the Kitchen

"If an onion odor clings to dishes and pans after use, even after you have washed and dried them in the usual way, scour them well with table salt."



Non stick pans coated with polytetrafluoroethylen, more commonly known as "Teflon", have been around since their invention in 1938.

Ceramics, cast iron, stoneware, copper, and stainless steel are all common types of cooking surfaces.

The best way to clean these guys is follow the care instructions!

You may be able to use an abrasive method on your cast iron. It is common to use salt to clean a cast iron pan and keep it from rusting. I wouldn't use the same method on a stainless steel pan.

...

Now the Almanac's title today is misleading.

They actually do not have any suggestions for your overall kitchen or home odor problem.

I'm not sure what odors you tackle at home but let me just guess you are a massive hoarder with junk everywhere.


The best way to get odors out is to clean all your surfaces.

Start with a duster and dust all your things. Be sure to breathe in all that chemical goodness.

Next is to tackle the floor.
If you have carpet, get some scented baking powder, sprinkle on the carpet, let sit, and vacuum up. 
Non-carpeted floors, use your correct cleaner on them floors.

Take out your trash!
That smelly smell is probably coming from that trash can you keep stepping into so you can somehow magically make some extra room.
Just stop and take it out lazy bones.

Vacuum your furniture. 
Geez I know what you are thinking, "That is never going to happen."
I do this once a month or as needed.
Get rid of the dust on your couch, hair, pet dander, and discover a stain someone has tried to hide.
Then spray with some generic fabric deodorizer.

OR

You can skip all this and spray some pledge in the air before company comes over and they are none the wiser.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...