Skip to main content

4 January 2018 - Baby Sitter 101

How to Get Baby-Sitters and What to Tell Them

"The recommendation of a friend or neighbor is the best way to find a baby-sitter. Schools recognize that sitting is one of the few ways teen-agers can earn money and sometimes offer child-care courses or include information concerning care of children in home economic courses. Contact the school office for the names of sitters in your area. Some newspapers run free ads for young people seeking such jobs."


Totally totally ask friends who they trust to sit their kids.

Please please do not ever call a school asking for the name and number of some young high school girls who might be able to baby sit.

Lord you do not want to end up on the news.

...

We have used trusted kids we knew from our church. We have even dropped off our kids with awesome friends who would watch them so we could go galavanting off somewhere.

Definitely have a guide for your sitter no matter who they are.

I found lots of forms on Pinterest for all emergency numbers and situations.

This is great also if you have a child that has any form of special needs or medical conditions.

...

One other tip in the book

"Do not expect the sitter to do any housework."

You can definitely expect that they will feed and take car of your kids but they are not there to clean up your messes.

I don't even expect them to bathe my kids.

If we have a sitter that stays late, I make sure the kids have already had a bath with pj's on.

...

One other thing from this paragraph. Do they still teach any kind of child care in high school? We don't even have Home Economics anymore. Kids can't even cook. Experienced sitters usually have that because they are the oldest in a family.

I'm a complete nut too when it comes to sitters. I need to know them, their parents, their family, their grades, their friends, and their teachers.

I'm stalking their social media.

So for you kids looking to baby sit you better watch out because I'm watching you! And us adults we all talk to each other about your foolishness.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

5 February 2018 - The Christmas Star

Store Poinsettia Soon Did you get one of these flowers for Christmas? If so and you haven't thrown it away or killed it, it is soon time to do something else with it. This Almanac entry is about taking care of that red plant. I don't garden. Let me clarify I can garden. I choose not to. Once upon a time I had a vegetable garden and it was amazing. The best tomatoes, organic produce, crazy long green beans, and some fresh basil. Now when a weed came and destroyed everything and all my hard work was gone I just put my gloves and shovel down exclaiming "I QUIT!" .... If you care to keep your plant around for next Christmas you can follow these instructions here. .... URBAN LEGENDS Now there is a myth that the plant is toxic. There is an urban legend that states a child died from eating the leaves of the plant.  In truth the poinsettia isn't toxic enough to kill a person. Eating it can cause an ...