Skip to main content

27 February 2018 - The Children's Hour

The Children's Hour

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was born on February 27, 1807

He was a world famous poet.

You might have heard some of his poems in your lifetime and didn't know it.


Our Almanac post today is about one of his poems called "The Children's Hour". It was one of the most popular poems taught to children in the late 1800's.

The poem is written about his own three daughters.


Between the dark and the daylight,
When the night is beginning to lower,
Comes a pause in the day's occupations,
That is known as the Children's Hour.

I hear in the chamber above me
The patter of little feet,
The sound of a door that is opened,
And voices soft and sweet.

From my study I see in the lamplight,
Descending the broad hall stair,
Grave Alice, and laughing Allegra,
And Edith with golden hair.

A whisper, and then a silence:
Yet I know by their merry eyes
They are plotting and planning together
To take me by surprise.

A sudden rush from the stairway,
A sudden raid from the hall!
By three doors left unguarded
They enter my castle wall!

They climb up into my turret
O'er the arms and back of my chair;
If I try to escape, they surround me;
They seem to be everywhere.

They almost devour me with kisses,
Their arms about me entwine,
Till I think of the Bishop of Bingen
In his Mouse-Tower on the Rhine!

Do you think, o blue-eyed banditti,
Because you have scaled the wall,
Such an old mustache as I am
Is not a match for you all!

I have you fast in my fortress,
And will not let you depart,
But put you down into the dungeon
In the round-tower of my heart.

And there will I keep you forever,
Yes, forever and a day,
Till the walls shall crumble to ruin,
And moulder in dust away!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

5 February 2018 - The Christmas Star

Store Poinsettia Soon Did you get one of these flowers for Christmas? If so and you haven't thrown it away or killed it, it is soon time to do something else with it. This Almanac entry is about taking care of that red plant. I don't garden. Let me clarify I can garden. I choose not to. Once upon a time I had a vegetable garden and it was amazing. The best tomatoes, organic produce, crazy long green beans, and some fresh basil. Now when a weed came and destroyed everything and all my hard work was gone I just put my gloves and shovel down exclaiming "I QUIT!" .... If you care to keep your plant around for next Christmas you can follow these instructions here. .... URBAN LEGENDS Now there is a myth that the plant is toxic. There is an urban legend that states a child died from eating the leaves of the plant.  In truth the poinsettia isn't toxic enough to kill a person. Eating it can cause an ...