Skip to main content

8 February 2018 - Love Me Some Pie

How to Make Perfect Pie Crust

"The frozen pie shells and graham-cracker crusts available at the grocery stores are good and worth keeping on hand. But nothing beats a pie you have made yourself, including the crust."

Oh yeah

Pies



Apple, Peach, Pumpkin, and Chicken Pot Pie.

I love sugary, fatty goodness surrounded by a flakey bread-like casing.

The onslaught of calories just ensures the food coma that follows when you enjoy a piece of pie.

Now our Almanac gives a recipe for a pie crust that is pretty standard.

But

Today I am going to share a recipe that I have been using courtesy of All Recipes.

This recipe is literally called "Grandma's Secret Pie Crust Recipe"

I have used this recipe for both savoy and sweet pie recipes. They have consistently been a hit.

A couple of pie crust tips from a culinarian expert 

Tip 1
Invest in a pastry cutter. Inexpensive tools great for cutting butter or shortening in to flour. Also great for mashing up avocados for guacamole.

Tip 2
Follow the recipe steps. You need to add ingredients in the right order, using the correct techniques to make a flakey crust.

Tip 3
Use ice cold water. Pie crust stays flakey when the fat you add (butter or shortening) stays solid or soft. You don't want the fats to melt before you bake. The cold water helps control the temperature of your dough.

Follow these tips and enjoy that recipe link and you will be a pie superstar!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

5 February 2018 - The Christmas Star

Store Poinsettia Soon Did you get one of these flowers for Christmas? If so and you haven't thrown it away or killed it, it is soon time to do something else with it. This Almanac entry is about taking care of that red plant. I don't garden. Let me clarify I can garden. I choose not to. Once upon a time I had a vegetable garden and it was amazing. The best tomatoes, organic produce, crazy long green beans, and some fresh basil. Now when a weed came and destroyed everything and all my hard work was gone I just put my gloves and shovel down exclaiming "I QUIT!" .... If you care to keep your plant around for next Christmas you can follow these instructions here. .... URBAN LEGENDS Now there is a myth that the plant is toxic. There is an urban legend that states a child died from eating the leaves of the plant.  In truth the poinsettia isn't toxic enough to kill a person. Eating it can cause an ...