Skip to main content

29 April 2018 - No Good Reason

Cleaning Draperies and Blankets of Man - Made Fibers

"There's a good reason for giving certain curtains, draperies, and blankets a thorough cleaning at this season.


UGH

I'm really sorry.

This is never going to happen.

I deliberately purchase items that do not need special washing.

My family abuses everything in my house.

The old saying of "This is why we can't have nice things" rings true within these walls.
(My kid seriously just gave me a broken pen after I typed this)

I have requested that my children do not receive toys on birthdays and Christmas because they lose parts or break the toy completely.

One time my son was gifted a remote control car that, within 24 hours, he broke when he made a car wash for it in the sprinklers outside.

The actual idea of me having a special rug in my home is laughable!
I need items that are disposable if necessary.
I have become accustomed to not having a special bond with any item in the home in case it should meet an unfortunate end at the hands of one of my children.

So in conclusion, follow washing instructions on the fibers that your things are made of so you don't ruin your stuff if you are really close to it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

5 February 2018 - The Christmas Star

Store Poinsettia Soon Did you get one of these flowers for Christmas? If so and you haven't thrown it away or killed it, it is soon time to do something else with it. This Almanac entry is about taking care of that red plant. I don't garden. Let me clarify I can garden. I choose not to. Once upon a time I had a vegetable garden and it was amazing. The best tomatoes, organic produce, crazy long green beans, and some fresh basil. Now when a weed came and destroyed everything and all my hard work was gone I just put my gloves and shovel down exclaiming "I QUIT!" .... If you care to keep your plant around for next Christmas you can follow these instructions here. .... URBAN LEGENDS Now there is a myth that the plant is toxic. There is an urban legend that states a child died from eating the leaves of the plant.  In truth the poinsettia isn't toxic enough to kill a person. Eating it can cause an ...