Skip to main content

30 April 2018 - April Mix!

April Potpourri for Homemakers

Welcome to the last day of April!

As is tradition, we have a mix of ideas, tips, and what have you's for the Homemaker.


Create your own raincoats. Scotch-guard sprayed on any coat will make it water repellent. Follow the directions on the can.

I looked up this tip and really it is recommended that you use Scotch-guard on rain coats to help them out if they have lost some of their water resistant coating.

Teach all family members to stretch out both the shower curtain and the liner so that they dry after showering.

I would go even further to remind your growing sons to not pee on the shower curtain during a shower. If you are a mom and confused just imagine a sprinkler going around the garden. Except its your kid in the shower.


Save grocery bags and use them to line waste baskets.

If you don't already do this, you are a jerk.

Keep a list of Toll Calls near your telephone. Check the list against the bills. The phone company isn't always perfect.

You see, back in the day we had to make a long distance phone calls and pay extra for that.
Our picture for today shows our Homemaker Heroine keeping a list of phone calls that she has made that might add some extra charges onto the phone bill.

Those were the days.

...

Thank you so much for joining me for another month of daily blog posts.
I hope you have been enjoying these as much as I have enjoyed writing them.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

5 February 2018 - The Christmas Star

Store Poinsettia Soon Did you get one of these flowers for Christmas? If so and you haven't thrown it away or killed it, it is soon time to do something else with it. This Almanac entry is about taking care of that red plant. I don't garden. Let me clarify I can garden. I choose not to. Once upon a time I had a vegetable garden and it was amazing. The best tomatoes, organic produce, crazy long green beans, and some fresh basil. Now when a weed came and destroyed everything and all my hard work was gone I just put my gloves and shovel down exclaiming "I QUIT!" .... If you care to keep your plant around for next Christmas you can follow these instructions here. .... URBAN LEGENDS Now there is a myth that the plant is toxic. There is an urban legend that states a child died from eating the leaves of the plant.  In truth the poinsettia isn't toxic enough to kill a person. Eating it can cause an ...