Skip to main content

1 March 2018 - What Time Is It?

We made it to month three of the year everyone!
Give yourself a victory whoop!

Go ahead

No one is looking

...

There you go!


It's time to start looking forward to the spring season and leave behind the cold.
Because really, the only reason we like cold is because that means Christmas is coming soon! Santa has been on vacation for two months now. Jack Frost, it's time to go!

New Resilient-Tile Floor? Put it Down Yourself!

"Perhaps you would like to have a new floor as part of your renovations this spring. If so, you may want to undertake the task yourself. Invite the man of the house to help, if you wish. But you won't really need him."

Oh Snap!


In the 70's this new fangled way of home improvement was just starting.

Today we have seen self adhesive tiles and flooring that you can install yourself.

Spring is the season when people start thinking Home Improvement.

Not this...


...but kinda like this!

You can find all kinds of DIY home improvement tips online and books on "how to not mess up this project."

Again, I have said it before, I am not in the business of shop class.

I guess one day if I ever become a home owner I can always binge watch Tim the Tool Man Taylor and hire a contractor.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

5 February 2018 - The Christmas Star

Store Poinsettia Soon Did you get one of these flowers for Christmas? If so and you haven't thrown it away or killed it, it is soon time to do something else with it. This Almanac entry is about taking care of that red plant. I don't garden. Let me clarify I can garden. I choose not to. Once upon a time I had a vegetable garden and it was amazing. The best tomatoes, organic produce, crazy long green beans, and some fresh basil. Now when a weed came and destroyed everything and all my hard work was gone I just put my gloves and shovel down exclaiming "I QUIT!" .... If you care to keep your plant around for next Christmas you can follow these instructions here. .... URBAN LEGENDS Now there is a myth that the plant is toxic. There is an urban legend that states a child died from eating the leaves of the plant.  In truth the poinsettia isn't toxic enough to kill a person. Eating it can cause an ...