Skip to main content

28 March 2018 - Macaroni & Cheese, Everybody Freeze

Macaroni and Cheese

"The next time you make this 'All American' favorite for the family's main dish or for a company casserole to accompany meat, try our version."


Pasta and cheese casseroles have been recorded as early as the 14th century.

The oldest medieval cookbook, Liber de Coquina, featured a dish of parmesan and pasta.

One of America's presidents, Mr. Thomas Jefferson, encountered macaroni and cheese in Paris and Italy. He liked it so much that he made a sketch and took notes on the dish. In 1802, He served "macaroni pie" at a state dinner.

In 1824, a Macaroni and Cheese recipe appeared in the cookbook The Virginia Housewife written by Mary Randolph.

In 1937, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese hit the shelves marketing "make a dinner for 4 in 9 minutes".



...

Today, you can purchase an array of boxed mac and cheese products!

Our Almanac gives a recipe but I kind of like mine better, so I will share it with you today.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 clove garlic, minced 
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella 
1/4 cup shredded parmesean
2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan
Salt and Pepper to taste 

Method

1. Heat a saucepan on medium heat. Put butter in pan and melt. Add flour and stir to create a roux. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.

2. Slowly add in milk and whisk together your milk and roux mix. Bring to a slight boil and immediately reduce to a slow simmer. If your mix is too thick add more milk a small amount at a time. It is ok if it is thin, the cheese will thicken the sauce later. Add some salt and pepper to taste.

3. Add in your cheeses and mix well. Then add the cooked macaroni and mix together.

4. Transfer your macaroni and cheese to a casserole pan.

5. Mix together the bread crumbs and parmesan. Top this mixture on top of your macaroni.

6. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until the breadcrumb topping is golden brown.

...

I hope you enjoyed a little culinary history lesson and if you ever try this recipe let me know in the comments!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...