Skip to main content

10 March 2018 - Here Fishy Fishy

How to Buy Fish and How Much to Buy

"Fish are sold in various ways Some forms are ready to cook. Others need cleaning. How much you should buy for your family depends on the form in which you buy it."


I am a simple girl.

I prefer my fish already cleaned, gutted, and scaled.

Just have it ready to go from package to pan and we are good.

And as far as family goes, my kids won't eat fish so I always buy enough for just two adults.

Sometimes cooking something special for just my husband and I makes it feel like we are on some mini date. It's really sweet and sad at the same time eating steaks next to three kids having hot dogs.

So let's go to the meat of this post.

Whole or Round
Fish is just as it was caught and needs to be cleaned before cooking.

Drawn
A drawn fish has been cleaned but must be scaled.

Dressed
Dressed fish have been broth cleaned and scaled.

Fillets
Sides of the fish that have been cut from the backbone

Steaks
Slices of fish3 3/4 to 1inch thick 

Chunks
Cut like steaks but are larger than steaks 

Portions
Cut from blocks of frozen fillets and usually covered in a batter

Sticks
Made the same way as portions but are cooked before being frozen

Canned
Fish that has been cooked then canned. Ready to use when opened from can.

There see, not so bad. You learned a lot of stuff about fish you probably didn't know before. So next time you are at the store, get some nice fillets of Chilean Sea Bass for you and some Fish Sticks for the kids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

5 February 2018 - The Christmas Star

Store Poinsettia Soon Did you get one of these flowers for Christmas? If so and you haven't thrown it away or killed it, it is soon time to do something else with it. This Almanac entry is about taking care of that red plant. I don't garden. Let me clarify I can garden. I choose not to. Once upon a time I had a vegetable garden and it was amazing. The best tomatoes, organic produce, crazy long green beans, and some fresh basil. Now when a weed came and destroyed everything and all my hard work was gone I just put my gloves and shovel down exclaiming "I QUIT!" .... If you care to keep your plant around for next Christmas you can follow these instructions here. .... URBAN LEGENDS Now there is a myth that the plant is toxic. There is an urban legend that states a child died from eating the leaves of the plant.  In truth the poinsettia isn't toxic enough to kill a person. Eating it can cause an ...