Skip to main content

13 March 2018 - Kids Are Gross

Help Children Form Good Health Habits

"Parental guidance and supervision are necessary if children are to develop good health habits. The time to begin is in the early years."


One day my kids asked "Mom, what is a cavity?"

They have been fortunate to have never experienced a cavity. So I grabbed a piece of paper and explained:

"This is your tooth. If you don't keep it clean it gets dirty."
Scribble marker on the paper
"If you never clean it then germs start to eat that dirt and then they eat your tooth."

STAB

STAB

STAB

I poke holes all in the paper!

"This is a cavity kids."

I got the point across in a funny way. A way that I knew would stick with them.

The point is that parents are responsible for guiding these habits into their children. Don't let other people teach your kids how to do things.
(unless you really suck at this parenting thing)

My kids wouldn't use soap in the shower if I didn't make them.

OK

Kids are gross and they are selfish. They will not do anything they don't want to do.

It is up to us to

NAG

NAG

NAG

Them until that nail is hammered in!

Sometimes all the headache and heartache pays off too! Someone says "Your kids are so well behaved" and you look around to make sure there isn't some other family standing near by.

I think that I have said it before but let me say it again,

It is up to us as parents to make sure we are bringing up productive kids who will become productive adults!

My kids don't have to like me. I'm not here to be their best friend.

One day those little birds are going to get kicked out of the nest and I really want it to be on a day that I don't have to worry about the decisions they make.

So for now I'm going to make sure they brush their stupid teeth every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!