Skip to main content

15 May 2018 - Where My Hose At?

A Dictionary of Hosiery Terms

"If you are one of the many homemakers who also also has a part or full time job, chances are that the cost of hosiery makes up a good part of your clothing budget."



Can we just take one second to look at this picture?

Gross.

Now back to our post.

...

There are surprisingly a lot of different types of hosiery.
You would not have guessed.
The idea of this post is to save some money by wearing the correct type of hosiery for your day.

I decided to pick my favorites from the list!
Let's explore these hoes!

Full Fashioned Stockings
Stockings with seams. Vertical seam at the back makes the leg appear slimmer.
ooo lala

Fishnets
Oh Snap!
In the 70's the fishnet design was a little less obvious.
It was a smaller net design.

Panty Hose
Growing up I called all stockings and types of hosiery 'panty hose'.
These are the one piece sheer or opaque stockings that are topped with panties.


wowza

Tights
These are usually one piece stockings made of an opaque yarn.

Support Stockings
You know you wear these for some extra "support".
In 2018 we have graduated to wearing Spanx to pull in and lift for "support".

You can read some extra history on nylons and stockings from my previous post in February.

I hope you learned a bit about your hoes today.
You might want to take a look in your drawers to see what kind of hoes are in your company.
You gotta take care of your hoes, you know.

I'm going to check on my hoes now that I'm thinking about it too.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...