Skip to main content

20 May 2018 - A History of Child Safety Seats

Keeping Child Safe While Traveling by Car

"You know that the use of seat belts is specified at certain times when you travel by plane, and constantly in a car. But have you heard that ordinary seat belts in a car are often bad for children?"

It's 2018.

Let me just preface this blog post with this:

We have come a long way in child safety seating.

In the 1930's, child booster seats were being made but not for safety reasons. They were made so that the adult could see the child easier while driving.

It looked a little horrifyingly like this.


And also if you ever needed to fly with your baby, they made some great ways for you to store your baby with your overhead luggage.


It wasn't until 1962 that child seats were being made with the purpose of protecting children in a car.
Models like those were not mandatory though.
So you could still find boosters similar to those in the 30's for you kiddos to sit in.

Seat belts in automobiles were not even standard for adults in the 60's.

It wasn't until 1985 that all states in the U.S. had laws about child safety seats.

Today we have federal and state requirements for children's car seats. 
So not only follow the requirements here at this link.
But also check your state requirements as well.

The Car Seat Lady also has a lot of information on additional ways to keep kids safe while traveling.

These guidelines keep our most precious cargo safe.
It isn't a burden to make sure kids are properly secured in the car.
An accident can be catastrophic.
With proper safety seats, it wont be fatal.

So take a little extra time to make sure your child's seat is property installed.


It's ok to be a little neurotic about this issue.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...