Skip to main content

6 May 2018 - Money Talks

Allowances for Children?

"An important part of growing up is gaining experience in handling one's own money. A weekly allowance can provide this."


It's definitely important for kids to start learning how to be responsible with money.
If not, then they could grow up with bad spending habits.

We really need to equip our kids with some real world expectations.
According this Time article, the generations that are coming into adulthood will start off being buried under debt.

So for now, how do we start them off with some financial experience with chores and allowances?

Our almanac suggests starting off simple.
You need to give them tasks that will be easy for them to handle and appropriate for their age.

I kept a chore board and the tasks were things like feeding the dog, clearing the table after meals, and putting away all toys at the end of the day.

Once they began to master certain tasks I gave them new ones.
I would take away a task like clearing the table and add a new one like empty the dishwasher.

Now I still expected them to clear the table but I no longer paid them for that task. They now are paid for emptying the dishwasher.

So now I have instilled a habit for them.

As an adult we don't get paid for doing our laundry or cleaning dishes.
Kids have to expect that as they get older some things will just be expected of them and they won't get praise or money for accomplishing them.

An important detail our almanac makes note of is to not make any male-female distinctions among the chores.

There is no girls work or boys work.

Everyone will do dishes, dust, vacuum, complete laundry tasks, take out trash, etc.

"Division of labor in the workplace based on gender is no longer appropriate or right."

Right on 1970's

Along with our chore board, I marked off when the task was completed and by whom it was completed by. This was because we paid based on commission. So some weeks one kid was paid more than the other because they completed more tasks.

They started to save their money and we would go shopping with it. They would have to learn what was important to spend their money on. Sometimes it was buying their own ice cream at the grocery store and saving the rest.

My son saved up his money for some big purchases and he was really proud of himself and felt accomplished for making his own money to buy something.

Evening out the family chores also releases some burden off the adults too!
I love it when the kids help so I can focus on something else.
As parents, it's ok to ask our kids to help out.
So encourage them to do so by rewarding them now to create some good habits later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...