Skip to main content

3 May 2018 - Flower Pots

Flue Tiles Make Decorative Planter for Flowers

"Planters filled with flowers such as geraniums or petunias are attractive when arranged around a lawn, porch, or patio, but the fancy planter are pretty expensive."



These clay flue tiles come from your typical chimney like this image below.


The clay tile aides in safely venting smoke away from the inside of your home.

Somehow, someway, someone thought it would be a good idea to put some plants in one.

Because of this, we have all kinds of clay pots for sale at any garden center for all your flower potting needs.

You can still purchase these flue tiles for gardening. The price can vary depending on the size you need for your gardening.

I was trying to find out what started this gardening trend and I can't point to one place in history that this started. I did find many people who claim that they originally came up with idea. 
Well guess what, they didn't.

This project of writing a blog from a 1970's almanac has taught me that we haven't had an original idea in a long long time.

Generations of people have just grown up and forgotten what their grandparents did.

You are not original snowflakes.


Take a page from your grandma's gardening book, instagram it, and claim originality.

Your Welcome





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...