Skip to main content

17 May 2018 - Avocado Greens

Hints About Colors When You Redecorate

"Use colors thoughtfully when you redecorate any room in the house. Color selection of paints and wall coverings is mostly a matter of personal preference."


1970's

What were you thinking?

Everyone knows a home from the 70's includes brown wood paneling, avocado greens, and burnt orange.

A lot of the iconic designs of the 1970's were a bit of an overflow from the 1960's. People began to tone down their colors for more neutral pallets.

Maybe our couple here in this picture has decided to get rid of their beaded curtains and geometric wallpaper. 

If you want to change up your wall color, it is recommended that you test the paint before making a final decision. The color you see in the store could look different in your room and with your own lighting. 


Sometimes you might even think a color would look great in your room but then change your mind when you see that color spread across a larger area other than a sample card.

In 2018 we have the internet!
We can see photos, articles, and blogs from other interior decorators.
They offer valuable design tips for you to get inspiration.

There is really no excuse for you to have orange and green walls anymore.

I mean...unless that is your personal preference.

Who knows!

Maybe retro will make a comeback.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...