Skip to main content

1 June 2018 - That Girl is on Fire!

Hey everyone!
Guess what?


We made it to another month!
Every month in our Almanac begins with a neat illustrated cover.


Let's put a fresh coat of paint on this day and see what our Almanac has for us today.

Think of Safety When Using an Electric Toaster

 "Electric toasters have come a long way since they first became common in the 1920's but they still can be unsafe if improperly used."

 Before the invention of the electric toaster, the most popular way of toasting your bread was with a toasting fork. You would slice bread, place a slice on the fork, and in front of the open fire till it was toasted on each side to your liking.

Then came the invention of the "Toast Plate". This was a plate that you could fit over your stove top to toast bread over your gas or wood burning stove.

The first successfully electric toaster was introduced in 1909 by General Electric.
The automatic pop up toaster was first patented in the 1920's.

Now, today's theme is safety.
This is because the common kitchen toaster is responsible for about 700 deaths world wide each year.
About 300 of those deaths are just in the U.S. alone.


If your food ever becomes stuck, never try to get it out with a fork.
duh
Never use foil in a toaster.
Never submerge it in water.
I can only guess you might do this in the event that it catches fire and you panic.

So be sure to read your instruction manual.
The one that you keep in a safe place as is suggested in our last post.

So be careful with your toasters.
Don't start any fires.
Don't stick your fingers in there.

Unless your planning on overthrowing the patriarchy somehow with one.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...