Skip to main content

28 June 2018 - The Incredible Edible Egg

All About Hard Cooked Eggs

 "When eggs are in good supply and consequently cost less - possibly early summer - hard cook them and use them in a variety of ways."


As if my family leaves eggs just laying around.
We go through our eggs like it is the only food around after Armageddon.

Our Almanac is considering that chickens tend to lay more eggs and more often now in the summer than in the darker colder winter months.
So purchasing eggs could be potentially cheaper now than in the winter.

I haven't really seen that is the case in 2018.

Organic backyard raised chicken eggs can average $3 per dozen and I have seen that price year round. Farm produced eggs (I'm talking factory farmed) can control the temperature environment for their laying chickens so prices might fluctuate but not that much.

You really want to take advantage of stores having a sale, manufacturer coupons, or straight up system errors.
This past weekend I got a dozen eggs for $0.39 and I'm sure it was an error that they couldn't fix right away. Did they advertise this, NO!

I raised my own chickens for a while.
The eggs were great!
They lived in a little coop outside and I let them roam around during the day.
At night they went to their coop to sleep and I shut the door to keep predators out.
Except one night we didn't get there in time and something got in and killed them.

R.I.P. Flora and Fauna

The money I saved on eggs. I can't even calculate it.

One day I want chickens again.
My little protein makers.

Bonus picture of my kids as chickens

So what do you do when you have extra eggs?

Our Almanac suggests that you hard boil them and serve them with lunches.
Salads, sandwiches, ham dinner, deviled eggs, pickled eggs.

They are a great healthy little addition to any meal or snack.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

5 February 2018 - The Christmas Star

Store Poinsettia Soon Did you get one of these flowers for Christmas? If so and you haven't thrown it away or killed it, it is soon time to do something else with it. This Almanac entry is about taking care of that red plant. I don't garden. Let me clarify I can garden. I choose not to. Once upon a time I had a vegetable garden and it was amazing. The best tomatoes, organic produce, crazy long green beans, and some fresh basil. Now when a weed came and destroyed everything and all my hard work was gone I just put my gloves and shovel down exclaiming "I QUIT!" .... If you care to keep your plant around for next Christmas you can follow these instructions here. .... URBAN LEGENDS Now there is a myth that the plant is toxic. There is an urban legend that states a child died from eating the leaves of the plant.  In truth the poinsettia isn't toxic enough to kill a person. Eating it can cause an ...