Skip to main content

30 June 2018 - June Mix

June Potpourri for Homemakers

It's the end of the month.

I can't believe we are already here.

It seems like last week I was writing about the end of May.

Time is just going by too fast.

Per tradition in our Almanac, the last day of the month is for a mix of friendly advice.

"Save old toothbrushes."
Ew. I get it. The idea here is use them for cleaning.
Brush around faucets, counter edges, knobs.
But old toothbrushes are riddled with bacteria so I'm not sure how effective you will be at cleaning unless you disinfect them first.

"A bathtub is a good substitute for a washtub."
We talked about using your bathtub in this April Post as an emergency for clothes washing.
The idea in this tips is to also use it for washing things that need to be hand washed that won't fit in a sink such as your curtains or drapes.

"Tie the cords on such garments as pajamas, sweat pants, and jackets before washing."
Ever lose a drawstring on your clothing?
I have.
The idea here is to prevent that from happening or have the cord get tangled around other clothes while they are washing.

"Mix minced onion and egg with leftover mashed potatoes."
After so many tips about cleaning, you might be hungry, so here is a cooking tip for you!


POTATO CAKES

Mix you left over mashed potatoes with some different ingredients, shape into disks, flour them on both sides, and saute on both sides.

I found a recipe here on Spend with Pennies.

...

Thanks for sticking around for 6 months now on my Almanac Blog.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

5 February 2018 - The Christmas Star

Store Poinsettia Soon Did you get one of these flowers for Christmas? If so and you haven't thrown it away or killed it, it is soon time to do something else with it. This Almanac entry is about taking care of that red plant. I don't garden. Let me clarify I can garden. I choose not to. Once upon a time I had a vegetable garden and it was amazing. The best tomatoes, organic produce, crazy long green beans, and some fresh basil. Now when a weed came and destroyed everything and all my hard work was gone I just put my gloves and shovel down exclaiming "I QUIT!" .... If you care to keep your plant around for next Christmas you can follow these instructions here. .... URBAN LEGENDS Now there is a myth that the plant is toxic. There is an urban legend that states a child died from eating the leaves of the plant.  In truth the poinsettia isn't toxic enough to kill a person. Eating it can cause an ...