Skip to main content

10 June 2018 - Wash and Wear

What You Should Know about Wash-and-Wear

 "Wash-and-wear garments tend to retain their original shape and appearance after repeated wear and laundering, with little or no ironing."


If you are like me you are wondering:
"Are there garments that are not wash-and-wear?"

I had to turn to Google.
So here is a term you might recognize.

Permanent Press

Easy Care, No Iron, Wash and Wear.
These are terms used for clothing that have been treated to be wrinkle resistant.

In the 1940's, clothing would be treated with urea-formaldehyde.
However, there tended to be some after effects like yellowing, odors, and complications with bleaching clothing treated this way.
Our Almanac actually says that "A fishy odor may indicate a finish which has not been fully cured."
EW. 

In the 1950's, blended clothing was manufactured to prevent wrinkles and make them easier to care for. This is when we started seeing cotton polyester blends hit the market.

Then washer and dryers started to have settings with terms like "Permanent Press" for these blended cloths. This cycle provides a "cooling down" period that helps the fabric stay wrinkle free.

Today, most dryers have this feature and you probably use it not really knowing why.

Our Homemaker Heroine is hanging her Wash-and-Wear clothing.
This is because the spin cycle would actually add additional wrinkles to clothes.
So removing the clothes before the spin and letting them drip dry would help keep them wrinkle free.
Today we don't have to worry about this because "Easy Care" clothing has become more advanced to withstand wrinkles from the spin cycle. 

I bet you never thought twice about laundry.
I swear I throw my laundry on the bed and hang it up later.
I care not about wrinkles.
I don't iron!!!
I hate the iron and all it involves.

Thank you 2018 for your wrinkle free garments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

5 February 2018 - The Christmas Star

Store Poinsettia Soon Did you get one of these flowers for Christmas? If so and you haven't thrown it away or killed it, it is soon time to do something else with it. This Almanac entry is about taking care of that red plant. I don't garden. Let me clarify I can garden. I choose not to. Once upon a time I had a vegetable garden and it was amazing. The best tomatoes, organic produce, crazy long green beans, and some fresh basil. Now when a weed came and destroyed everything and all my hard work was gone I just put my gloves and shovel down exclaiming "I QUIT!" .... If you care to keep your plant around for next Christmas you can follow these instructions here. .... URBAN LEGENDS Now there is a myth that the plant is toxic. There is an urban legend that states a child died from eating the leaves of the plant.  In truth the poinsettia isn't toxic enough to kill a person. Eating it can cause an ...