Skip to main content

20 June 2018 - How to Test if You are Dead to Me

Meat Thermometer Best Way to Test a Roast

"Using a meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature is the best way to test the doneness of a meat roast or roasted poultry."


If you don't already have a thermometer for testing the internal temp of your meat, please run to the store and get one asap.
The best important reason for this is just that you need to serve certain foods at certain temperatures to ensure that it is safe to eat.

Here is the standard temperatures to serve certain types of foods:
Some thermometers even come with temperature guidelines.
There is really no excuse to not know how hot food should be before you eat it.

For some reason in 2018 we have a new trend.

It's disgusting.

It's called chicken sashimi.

Raw Chicken.


People who have eaten or prepared it say it's really good.
Like sushi but with a bird.

The problem is that you can't do this with all types of chicken.
Just like you can't have sushi with just any kind of raw fish.
 Sushi is made with safe sushi grade fish.

Chicken sashimi is made by chefs who get their chicken meat from reputable sources.
So please please do not think that you can just eat chicken raw and be okay.

Some compare this raw chicken trend to eating rare steak.
But it really isn't the same. 
Steak cooked rare has an internal temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
Just to be clear for you squeamish folks out there. You are not eating blood. If you come to my house and ask for a steak well done, I am throwing you out of my house. You are dead to me. 

I will not serve you chicken below 165 degrees Fahrenheit and I refuse to serve you a steak that is cooked above 150 degrees Fahrenheit.

In my house you can choose from Rare, Medium Rare, and Medium is pushing it.
I will not abuse steak that way.
No sir!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...