Skip to main content

21 June 2018 - Oh You Think You Fancy?

Good Tips for Buying Canned Fruit

"Buy canned fruits according to grade if possible."


If there is one thing about this almanac is that they really like to talk about canned food.
Which by the way, the deadline to submit your grievances to the USDA is coming up next month.




So here we go again.

Another post about cans.

The higher the grade, the better quality in size, shape, and color.
It doesn't have anything to do with the nutritional value.

So all the labels of fancy just mean that it is or was more appealing looking.


So don't fall for the entire Grade A and Fancy labeling.

It's all just a marking tactic.

These guidelines were developed by the USDA.
For good reason too!

You wouldn't want spoiled food mixed in with your edible canned food.

So anything that is spoiled, rotten, defective etc., is sorted out either by hand or machine.

Sorting also removes any physical hazards, dirt, and filth from the food.
Seriously do not want machinery, grass, soil, or field mice in my canned food, thank you very much.

After sorting and grading, the food is blanched or partially cooked before canning.
Blanching is usually done with steam or hot water.
This prevents the food from oxidizing in the canning process that could alter the taste.
It also helps keep the products natural color.
We are going for as close to fresh as possible so this is necessary.

Buying lower grade food doesn't mean you are getting a bad product.
There are grading systems for a lot of foods out there.

It's part of the reason that "ugly food" gets a bad reputation.
People just think they are getting subpar food.


You want to hear a secret.

Most of the ugly food is processed for canning.

If it can't go in the produce bin because it will be passed up, you might find it in a lower grade can.

As I said before though, just because it looks better doesn't mean that it is.

The nutritional value of "ugly" produce can be just as good as a pretty one.

So don't pass up the lower graded or deformed produce just because you don't like the way it looks.
We are all beautiful and useful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...