Skip to main content

16 June 2018 - Taboo Foliage

Time to Prune Non Blooming Wisteria Vines

"Wisterias sometimes develop luxuriant foliage - with nary a blossom. Young vines are prone to this deplorable failing. So what to do?"


I had no idea that non blossoming vines were so taboo.
Well we can't have this now can we.

What is even a Wisteria Vine and what can I do to make sure it behaves?

These vines are actually really pretty.
When they bloom, they look like this!


These plants are very hardy and can grow in sub par conditions but they will thrive in full sun.

If you try to grow a Wisteria from seed, it can be decades before you see a bloom.

They need support to grow.
So letting them crawl up the side of a structure, on poles, or even on trees is best for them.
BUT
You have to be very careful.
These vines are really strong and can collapse the structures they grow on.
So letting them get out of hand on your home can cause damage to gutters, walls, and the roof.
They can even strangle trees.

Terrifying.

The buds grow near the base of the previous years growth so you need to trim back the shoots to see anything. This should be done in early spring if you have any hope to see some blooms.

Now I know what you are thinking.

Can I eat this flower?
Since we have covered eating flowers and making wine from them, it is only natural you would ask this question, and it is my duty to answer you!
That answer is....

You should consult a professional!

Some Wisterias are edible but some strains are toxic.
There are a variety of flowers in this little plant family so be sure not to eat anything from them unless you are told that it is ok.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

5 February 2018 - The Christmas Star

Store Poinsettia Soon Did you get one of these flowers for Christmas? If so and you haven't thrown it away or killed it, it is soon time to do something else with it. This Almanac entry is about taking care of that red plant. I don't garden. Let me clarify I can garden. I choose not to. Once upon a time I had a vegetable garden and it was amazing. The best tomatoes, organic produce, crazy long green beans, and some fresh basil. Now when a weed came and destroyed everything and all my hard work was gone I just put my gloves and shovel down exclaiming "I QUIT!" .... If you care to keep your plant around for next Christmas you can follow these instructions here. .... URBAN LEGENDS Now there is a myth that the plant is toxic. There is an urban legend that states a child died from eating the leaves of the plant.  In truth the poinsettia isn't toxic enough to kill a person. Eating it can cause an ...