Skip to main content

24 January 2018 - Ice Ice Baby

The Joys of Making Your Own Ice Cream

"The freezers you buy these days are sometimes motor-driven, so, if you wish, you can escape the old-time chore of hand-turning" 

In the 1970's, ice cream makers were branded as "freezers" and evidently electronic ones were really spiffy to find in those days.

 

Now making ice cream requires placing ice between the containers in the freezer. Which in winter you can find plenty of ice just hanging around! Sprinkle the ice with some rock salt and turn the freezer until the ice cream mixture is well frozen.

Now I know I made a confession yesterday but I feel the need to unburden my soul.

I have an Ice Cream Maker that is still new in box that is in the garage and I have had it for probably three years now. I also have some ice cream salt for it too!

I've just never had the urge to make my own ice cream.

Is there really some hidden joy I am missing out on by not making my own ice cream?

I mean, I'm from Texas and when Listeria hit Blue Bell Ice Cream, the state just about shut down. That was years ago and we still have our "never forget" moments. Now that I am in the Pacific North West there are straight up Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream shops. I am dying to go to one!

If I ever take out my "freezer" I'll update you all on the outcome.

Until then, here is a simple recipe for ice cream.

1 quart Half and Half
3/4 Cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract 

Warm the half and half in a sauce pan over low heat. Add the sugar and salt and stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool, then add vanilla.

Follow the instructions on your freezer for freezing that ice cream!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...