Skip to main content

8 January 2018 - Panophobia


Today!

Removing Stains from Resilient Floors

I'm going to type out this small paragraph in the book.

Read to the end...

"To prevent permanent damage, stains and spots should be removed as quickly as possible from any kind of floor or flooring. When your particular problem concerns a resilient flooring, remember to refer to the helpful table that you will find in the Appendix at the back of this book. It was compiled especially to solve stain problems on asphalt and vinyl asbestos tile floors"

ASBESTOS 

You know that stuff that is dangerous if the microscopic fibers become airborne?

Between the 1920's and 1980's asbestos was common to use in flooring and wallpaper. This was due to it's low production cost, insulation, and fireproof qualities.

It wasn't until the 1990's that the dangerous health risks associated with exposure to asbestos were discovered. Today, many products using asbestos have been phased out. However, many homes and other buildings built before 1980 may still contain flooring and wallpaper that contains asbestos.


This look is just a combination of fear from stubborn stains and future cancer scares.

BUT!

Let's go back to stubborn stain removal!

The Appendix in the book is actually pretty neat!
For today's post there isn't anything new on cleaning floors and stains though.

The best way is to clean that mess and prevent the stain is to get to it as quick as you can.

What cleaner should you use?

It actually just said regular dish soap or standard cleaner.

There isn't a magical recipe for cleaning.

IN FACT!

I've been using regular Dawn blue dishwashing soap, vinegar, and baking soda for a lot of household cleaning. Elbow grease also goes a long way.

Just get on that Pinterest Fam and you will see what I'm talking about!

This new year:
Get to those spills before they seep in
Google "asbestos in products" and get afraid of everything

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...