Skip to main content

31 January 2018 - January Mix!


January Potpourri for Homemakers

Thanks for joining me for our first month in the 1970's Almanac for Homemakers!

We did it!

Round two comes up tomorrow with the first day of February.

We are wrapping up this month with some homemaking tips from our Homemaker Heroine.

Now Potpourri isn't just for smelly good things. It indicates anything that is a mixture of things.

Without further ado...

Here is your January Mix

1. "When it comes to snow in your area, join the children in sculpting an animal instead of a traditional snowman. Ice the surface by covering with a fine spray of water"

That is actually pretty smart. I wouldn't know if this works because there is no snow here!

2. "To avoid laundry losses, keep a list as you send items to the laundry and dry cleaner. Check off the items when they are returned."

I'm to lazy to purchase clothes that require special laundering services.

3. "Stains in the kitchen sink? When scouring powders don't remove them, leave the dishwater in and add a cup of bleach. Let stand for at least 15 minutes and try again."

Shhhh...we don't speak of the porcelain sink. Just throw it out and get some stainless steel!

4. "To dust under low pieces of furniture, wrap dust cloth around the end of a yard stick."

Or not and be super surprised when you move again.

5. "An old metal breadbox placed in the cabinet under the sink is a fine pest proof storage for sugar and flour still in the original packaging."

I'm not sure about this. Under the sink is usually reserved for cleaning products. Please do not store food next to or in the same area as chemicals. Invest in plastic or glass storage containers.

6. "Allergic to gold? Paint the side of jewelry that touches skin with clean nail polish."

Or or.... just a thought.... don't do this and don't wear something you are allergic to.

...

Alright guys that is it for January! See you next month!

If you have enjoyed reading these posts, share them with your friends and invite them over for our February adventures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...