Skip to main content

4 January 2018 - It's Traditional


It's still the New Year! So with this in mind how will you spend time as a family enriching your traditions or creating new ones?

Why is this important?

You and your kids will remember these memories more than the tangible things they get. Even having a souvenir will only have value if there are some wonderful memories attached to it.

This almanac entry challenges you to think on what traditions you will do this year as a family.

What traditions have you been doing or did as a child that you remember?

Family traditions help keep your cultural heritage alive.

Think on that.

When I was a kid, our family would get together every Christmas Eve after the evening church service and we had a huge Christmas party. Now when I say family I mean aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, etc. We ate food, opened presents, and stayed up late just having fun being around each other. 

When I grew up and married, my husband thought that tradition was odd. He was used to opening all the presents on Christmas morning. 

And I thought that was weird!

As it turns out my German heritage and traditions shaped our Christmas festivities. In Germany, it is common to exchange presents on Christmas Eve. So for me Christmas morning was for sleeping in and as for St. Nick....well he was more of an after thought.



Now with our family we have almost blended our traditions. My husband and I exchange our gifts to each other on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning is for all the presents for kids.

As for Santa

We leave out cookies and milk for him and some treats for the reindeer!
He has always brought awesome presents wrapped up in brown paper packages that are tied up with string. His elf comes after Thanksgiving and lurks around our house looking for nice and naughty behavior. It't not good ole Krampus but it will do!

If you were to ask my kids what their favorite Christmas tradition is,
 they would say our Mini Van Express! 

I got the idea off another mom.
We give them Mini Van Express tickets.
We all pile in the van to go look at Christmas lights and we eat treats on the road.

It is like a family Polar Express!

My husband and I even have a movie bucket list to get through for Christmas.

But it's not just Christmas.

We have traditions for the Tooth Fairy who brings a tooth report and money for those gross teeth.

On birthday's we have a special breakfast for the guest of honor.
It's usually pancakes

For Easter we always find a community egg hunt.

On Halloween we (I) carve pumpkins.

Thanksgiving is a feast and one of the only times a year I make my famous apple pie.

New Year's the kids can never stay up so this year we did a new thing where we had a picnic at the beach and watched the last sunset for the year.

So this year think about what traditions you want to create, strengthen, and pass on.

Remember too that with age and tradition both things change. We are never the same in age and traditions can always change. Tradition isn't a label to keep things the way they were. My Christmases are not like how they were. I am still fond of my childhood Christmases but I love my new traditions I have with my family.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 February 2018 - The Mustard Mix

This History of Mustard "The delights of mustard as a food accompaniment apparently had been known only a few years before the appearance of the advertisement described in today's historical note." TODAY IN HISTORY On February 15 1768, one Benjamin Jackson advertised in a Philadelphia newspaper that he was "the only mustard manufacturer on the continent. I brought to art with me into the country."  Mr. Jackson came to America from London, England. He sold his product labeled in glass bottles. Benjamin Jackson, from the book Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage, was a chocolate and mustard maker. He introduced mustard into his chocolate shop where he also sold other spices and flours. Now the mustard he sold was not like the mustard we have today. He sold bottles labeled "Flour of Mustard" which means that you had to follow the directions on the bottle to mix the powder with hot water to create your condiment. Mustard...

19 March 2018 - Why Woodn't You

Try Putting Up Wallboard? Why Not? "In the spring one tends to think about the sprucing up the home." In the 70's wood paneling was all the rage. Wallboard or as it commonly called today - Decorative Paneling. There are some seriously cute panelings out there today. Typically, when you think of wall paneling, you think of wooden paneling. I have some in my living room and it is very dated. It's so dark that is great for movie nights but mostly it just feels like a room that is sucking the light from your house. I found an article from Houzz that has some modern looks for us in the year 2018. So if you decide to go the way of decorative paneling, please steer clear of the basic stuff, and go for a nice chic modern look!

1 January 2018 - Happy New Year!!

A couple years ago I started collecting interesting antique books. I love seeing a peek into the time period the book was written. Until the end of 2017 I was a stay at home mom. We moved across the country and a new chapter began for our family. This morning for the beginning of the new year I pick up my "Illustrated Almanac for Homemakers" book.  This book was written in 1974.  Just check out those bellbottoms.  Originally sold for $9.95. I bought at Half Price Books for $7.00 I thought this book would be fun to flip through. Just see what homemakers were doing in the 1970's verses what I was doing or not doing. So for 2018 I thought it would be fun to see what I can accomplish this 365 days from this almanac even though I am no longer a full time homemaker.  Lets begin in January!  Each month has a super cute illustration featuring our homemaker heroine!  It's the first day of the first year so let's peek at today's tas...